Followers

Thursday, August 5, 2021

Shri Ram Naresh (PRT) KV-2 Chakeri Kanpur-(Memoirs)


Three Covid positive cases were reported in KV-2 Chakeri on 3
rd April. Mr. Ram Naresh (PRT) was one of them. Since casualty rate was below 1% in Covid cases in 2019, no one was grievously panic stricken from the Covid discovery. So was I.

I used to frequent with friendly gesture to his residence apart from being a colleague in the same Vidyalaya. I received all warmth and hospitality with him and his family members.

I called him on 5th April.

‘Hello’, his wife responded to my call.

‘Lal Chandra speaking madam’, I spoke in low tone.

‘Ji sir’, she replied in subdued tone.

‘How is sir now’ I asked.

‘He is bit panicked and restless’, she spoke.

She handed over the phone to Mr. Ram Naresh sir with my name.

‘h…h…helllo’, he stammered.

‘How are you sir’, I articulated in light tone.

‘Feeling not very good, bit breathing problem and fever.’ He lowly spoke.

I consoled and confided him with all my kind and energizing words. I assured him to be fit and fine very soon. I gave instances of many who had successfully recovered. I said to take all necessary medical precautions. I wanted to cheer him up advising him to do what he liked as comedy show and listening songs etc.

‘Sir, please tell about any hospital’ his wife called when I was outstation to my home town on 11th April at morning.

I sensed the situation. Everything was not well but I was very assured that no untoward would occur.

‘Sir, he is not feeling well and needs to be admitted’, she spoke.

‘Please give call to him’ I requested her.

She handed over the call to him.

‘Sir, how are you’, I asked in bold tone only to instill courage to him.

‘I have deep breathing problem’ he spoke suffocating tone.

‘Sir, don’t worry, don’t be panic stricken, don’t be so nervous, you will be ok very soon’.

‘Just take medical advice of the doctor, if needed, be hospitalized, you will be ok very soon.’ I continued and continued. I wanted to instill as much positivity as I could. I could have reached to him but I was helpless as I was three hundred kilometer away. He seemed to puff up with strength and energy with my words. But I could sense that situation was not so good.

I talked to his wife about different hospitals.

‘Uncle, please do something as Hallet Hospital is delaying to admit papa since 11 am.’ I received call from unknown number and it was from his daughter.

‘Uncle, please do something’. She pleaded in saddened tone.

‘Ok, I am trying.’ I assured her.

I was at remote. I called friends, doctors and medical students. I did what I could do. Lastly he was admitted in Covid ward. No person was allowed to enter in it, even the family members.

‘Uncle, please arrange something for better care to my papa.’ She ranged and requested.

I assured her. I called and I tried. But harsh reality was that Covid patients were hugely neglected and uncared.

The family members sat impatiently with heavy grievous minds. I enquired his well being. But least information of his well being was only announced electronically.

My phone rang in night around 2.30 am. I woke up hurriedly with sleep laden in my eyes. But I was sure it was about him only.

‘Sir, please tell some private hospital, he needs ventilator urgently.’ His wife called in stable grievous tone.

‘Ok, I am trying.’ What else I could have done at this critical juncture.

‘Sir, call to Shipra, she is in the hospital, I am on the way.’ She hurriedly spoke.

I called Shipra, his daughter who stayed in the hospital with her maternal uncle.

‘What is condition of sir now.’ I spoke with freeze tone.

‘Uncle, father is no more.’ She spoke with her mind lost and words shattered.

Silence…….

Speechless, breathless and benumbed.

I disconnected the call. The eyes were wide open staring to the sky. I was shocked from deep within the self.  Although complications had fettered him but I had not even slightly expected that such thing will happen. Having medical issues and getting admitted was very common to me.

I could not believe what I listened. Such a gentle and benevolent person, who smiled and joked with me, had left me forever. Along with his wife and two children, he ever gave all respect and homely gesture. Each of his jolly talks and gentle behavior hovered in front of my wet eyes. What I could sum up was gross injustice to him by time and fate. He bade adieu to all of us before he could live his share of life.

I spent the day in lone monotony. I could not dare to talk to the family members that day. What could I have done was only to pray to bestow all strength to bear such a heavy brunt of brutal time.

Life and death is the reality of the creation. But such people and such happenings tear up the soul and break the heart into hundreds bits. He rested into permanent abode. Only his sweet memories rest and reside with us.

Miss you the true gentleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment